Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Little Humor

Lately, I've been feeling like a celebrity! People that I know (and some people that I don't) are coming up to me and congratulating me on studying abroad and winning the Speedwell Scholarship. They are amazed that I will be learning a new language and spending every day speaking it.

They shouldn't be too surprised that I taken an opportunity to improve my language skills. I've always loved to learn languages. Why would I be in Spanish III and French III and take summer language courses if I didn't love language? Why would I sit on the beach and conjugate French verbs if I didn't want to do something amazing with the skills? My sixth grade plan for language was to take two years each of Spanish, French, Italian, German, and Latin! Of course, that fell through because my school's only language options are French and Spanish. People are always amazed that I can separate the two languages and take French and Spanish tests on the same day, but Spanish and French classes are very different from speaking and comprehending Spanish and French in daily life. 

Here is a song from the musical The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee that I think is related. Marcy Parks (the character doing the singing) is bragging about her language abilities (and, well, everything else) because, well, she can! The song is called "I Speak Six Languages," and it's all about this girl gloating about all of her various talents. The main reasons I posted it are
     1) I like the song because I worked the sound for this musical last year. 
     2) The song makes me giggle.
     3) It's a little bit related to AFS! I think any AFSer would be amazed to speak six languages!

Please, take the video as musical theatre and not as my personal opinion! I don't agree with the song, but that's the intention! Just laugh a little!



À plus tard!
-Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment