Thursday, April 4, 2013

FAQs

When telling about being an AFS Exchange Student, one better expect to be barraged with questions! Other AFSers surely hear these questions all the time. Future AFSers should prepare! There are certain questions that will always be asked when talking about AFS. Here are the FAQs of studying abroad with AFS! This is what I want to say, not what I actually say!

     Question: Where in France will you be staying? 
     Answer: I don't know yet! It all depends on where my host family lives, and I don't know that information.

     Question: Are you going to be by yourself over there?
     Answer: Yes and no. I will be leaving my family in the United States, but I won't be alone. I'm living with a host family.    

     Question: What if you get kidnapped?
     Answer: Somebody has been watching too much Taken!     

     Question: You mean you're going for a whole year?!?!
     Answer: That's technically not a question! Well, almost a year; about ten months. I'm sure I'll want it to be longer, no matter how long that time period seems!    

     Question: What will I do without you?
     Answer: What really gets me with this question is a lot of people have only taken interest in me since they know I'm leaving. In that case, the same thing you did before you knew I existed. In the case that you're one of my close friends, then I will say "I'm not dying! I'm only going halfway around the world for 10 months! We'll keep in touch through Facebook and Skype and my blog." Of course, I'm not going to be readily available to drop everything and Facebook chat or Skype, but I'm not going to drop off the face of the earth and lose contact with everyone!

     Question: What if your family consists of axe-murderers?
     Answer: Someone has an active imagination!

     Question: How far away is France?
     Answer: I've only ever been asked by my five year old cousin, so I have only ever answered "really far".    

     Question: Why do you want to study abroad?
     Answer: This question is probably the hardest! Of course I have my reasons, and I wrote a whole essay on the subject, but I can't determine if you're asking because you feel like you should or if you're asking because you're actually interested.

If anyone has any more questions, comment and I'll update the post to answer them!
À tout a l'heure!
-Natalie

2 comments: