Tuesday, April 16, 2013

AFS Potluck Dinner

Usually, I try to avoid the term "potluck" whenever I can! The work "potluck" reminds me of a function only attended by dedicated, elderly women that play bingo religiously. But, because the potluck dinner on Saturday was an AFS event, I decided that I would attend with an open mind and a positive attitude because this would be an excellent learning opportunity.

You will be pleased to know that the group at the potluck dinner was NOT composed of elderly bingo players! There were people there that are involved with all sides of AFS. There were exchange students from other countries that are currently in the United States with AFS, returnees, volunteers, parents of students currently abroad, parents of returnees, host families, and students that will be going abroad with AFS. This lovely assortment of people made the event to be unforgettable!

I can now say I have friends from many different countries, including Denmark, Norway, Belgium, and Germany. I have friends that will be going to Spain and to France next year at the same time I will be. Seriously, I believe that exchange students are possibly the coolest people I have ever met! No one understands a future exchange student's stress like a current exchange student!

When I decided that I am going to study abroad, I only expected that I'd make friends in my host country. Now I realize that with a program like AFS, one will meet people from every corner of the globe.

Even though I only spent a few hours with these people, I have created friendships. Who knows? Maybe I'll visit other European countries and the exchange students within them while I'm in France!

The picture to the left was taken at the potluck. It is quite awkward, but I thought I needed a visual for you.  The boy in the red plaid is Aidan, and I am in black and awkwardly laughing. The picture was taken by Cosi, an exchange student from Germany. Aidan will be going to France with me in September on the same scholarship. Aidan isn't very fond of the way I describe him, as the message on Facebook reading, "Why didn't you describe my awesome personality or great sense of humor or charming good looks???" would suggest. He has yet to offer a better description of himself.

The dinner also caused my little brother to think about studying abroad, but he's in seventh grade and has plenty of time to think it over! He is contemplating going to Ghana!

2 comments:

  1. One if the best nights I had in a while! So much fun meeting all of those fun people like yourself. Can't wait to be "stuck" with you in France :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you! At the time I'm typing this, there are 4 months, 15 days, 2 hours, 56 minutes and 29 seconds until we're on program!!! :D Hurry up, France!

    ReplyDelete